What is Panic Disorder?
Criterion A: Recurrent, unexpected, abrupt surge of intense fear/discomfort that reaches a peak within minutes, and during which time 4 or more of the following symptoms occur:
- Palpitations, pounding heart, or accelerated heart rate.
- Sensations of shortness of breath or smothering.
- Feelings of choking.
- Chest pain/discomfort.
- Nausea/abdominal distress.
- Feeling dizzy, unsteady, light-headed, or faint.
- Chills or heat sensations.
- Paresthesias (numbness or tingling sensations).
- Derealization (feelings of unreality) or depersonalization (being detached from one-self).
- Fear of losing control or “going crazy”.
- Fear of dying.