T13 – 1.7 Differentiating MDD from Normative Sadness and Loss
Differentiating MDD from Normative Sadness and Loss
- Responses to a significant loss (e.g., bereavement, serious medical illness or injury, unemployment) may mimic symptoms of MDD.
- It is important to carefully take into consideration a plethora of contextual information to determine whether a major depressive episode is present, such as:
- The individual’s history.
- Cultural norms.
- The duration of the symptoms.
- The level of distress the symptoms cause.
- The level of impairment the symptoms cause.