5.2 Approach to Reducing Overuse of Benzodiazepines among Older Patients
Approach to Reducing Overuse of Benzodiazepines among Older Patients
- The deprescribing process must be seen as a process as opposed to a discrete event.
- Providers and patients should be educated about:
- The dangers of benzodiazepine use with advancing age.
- The availability of suitable alternative strategies for coping with anxiety and insomnia.
- The reassurance that the deprescribing process will be carried out safely and cautiously at a pace that is tolerable by the patient.
- Allowances should be made for frequent follow-up visits and encounters while the patient is reducing their dose so that the patient feels supported.
(Gress et al., 2020)