Demo Chapter – Epidemiological Statistics
- Catatonia occurs in roughly 35% of patients with schizophrenia. (3)
- The syndrome is also associated with:
- Medical illnesses (prevalence of 20-25%).
- Mood disorders (prevalence of 30% or more).
- Epidemiology: (4)
- Catatonia is experienced by 7-31% of psychiatric patients in general.
- It is responsible for 90,000 hospitalizations per year in the United States.
- 10% of all hospital admissions code for an episode of catatonia.
(3) Ackerman, K. D. & Demartini, A. F. (Eds.) (2015). Psychosomatic medicine. Ney york, new york: oxford university press, pp. 278.
(4) Bartolommei, N., Lattanzi, L., Callari, A., Cosentino, L., Luchini, F., & Mauri, M. (2012). Catatonia: a critical review and therapeutic recommendations. Journal of psychopathology, 18, p. 235.