Demo Chapter – Background on Catatonia
Background on Catatonia
- Catatonia was first defined by Karl Kahlbaum in 1874 in a study describing patients with severe psychiatric disorders(1).
- Kahlbaum and others noted a syndrome including:
- Short stages of immobility.
- Stupor or melancholy.
- Excitement or hyperactivity.
- An association with some medical illnesses and what would later be known as mood disorders and psychotic disorders such as schizophrenia.
(1) Kahlbaum, K. (1874). Catatonia or the tension insanity. Berlin: verlag august hirshwald.